10 Things to Do in Omaha for Basketball Fans
Omaha is ready to welcome fans for two days of adrenaline-pumping-edge-of-your-seat-lose-your-voice-screaming entertainment. As four of the nation’s best college basketball teams sweep into Omaha and battle for a coveted spot in the finals, Omaha is ready to keep the action going outside of the arena. In between cheering at games, explore a city filled with world-class attractions, legendary food, and a buzzing craft brew scene. When it comes to basketball, Omaha is an easy layup.
Click here for more info for planning your visit to Omaha for the NCAA® Division I Men’s Basketball Championship.
1. Go Wild at One of the World's Best Zoo. Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium is a different kind of animal, offering a unique and immersive experience. More than a zoo, this biological park is home to nearly 1,000 different species of animals, the world’s largest indoor desert, the world’s largest nocturnal exhibit, and North America’s largest indoor rainforest. (See why it’s one of the world’s best zoos?)
2. Celebrate Sweet Basketball Greatness at The Capitol District. The entertainment district, just steps away from the action at CHI Health Center Omaha, is celebrating Sweet 16 basketball all weekend long. No tickets? No problem. Games will play on a large, outdoor screen, restaurants will dish local eats, bars will offer drink specials, and guests can take advantage of the open container option in the plaza.
3. Get the Meat Sweats and Go Home Victorious. Give your inner athlete a workout when you take on the mother of all beef challenges. Throw out the calorie counting and bite into the Stellanator – a massive meat mountain weighing in at 4.5lbs and 4,900 calories. Fun fact: More people have been to the moon!
4. Sip on Omaha’s Buzzed-about Craft Beer Scene. What goes together better than beef and beer? Basketball and beer. Omaha’s got it all! Omaha’s craft brew scene is in a league of its own with more than a dozen breweries developing unique concoctions for every palate. Insider tip: Before making the trip to Omaha, request a free Omaha Craft Brew Penny Pack and get coupons good for buy one, get one for a penny beer at 13 participating breweries.
5. Explore the Great Outdoors. Now your inner athlete needs a real workout. Explore Omaha’s outdoors with a hike at Fontenelle Forest, a stroll through Lauritzen Gardens, a challenging mountain bike ride, a peaceful jog, and paddle boarding or fishing at one of the city’s many picturesque lakes.
6. Bite Into a Juicy Steak. Eat like a Midwesterner thanks to Omaha’s legendary steakhouses, which will keep your carnivorous cravings at bay. Start your steak pilgrimage here with flame-broiled, whiskey-doused or wood fire-grilled steak – Omaha’s got it all.
8. Get Active at The RiverFront. Three parks in the heart of downtown Omaha and along the riverfront offer fun ways to get moving, like: roller skating or ice skating, depending on the season, at the Skate Ribbon; admiring the city views and art along its paths; and starting a game of sand volleyball. Kids love the big playgrounds with zip line, fast slides, and plenty of climbing features.
9. Explore Omaha's Entertaining Neighborhoods. Omaha is peppered with unique entertaining neighborhoods filled with eclectic dining, live music, craft beer, and friendly locals ready to point out the next hot spot.
10. Download the Omaha Savings Pack. Explore 7 of Omaha’s top attractions and save money with exclusive discounts. Download the Omaha Savings Pack and save at Omaha’s Henry Doorly Zoo & Aquarium, Omaha Children’s Museum, Strategic Air Command and Aerospace Museum, The Durham Museum, and more.