CITY OF OMAHA CELEBRATES “SEE AMERICA WEEK / NATIONAL TOURISM WEEK”
Wednesday, May 24, 2006 3:00 AM
Know the O!“ Family Fun Day
Be a Tourist in Your Own Town:
Learn about Omaha’s Past, Present & Future
and Enjoy Free Family Entertainment
Omaha, NE (5/8/06) – Did you know visitors spent over $1 billion in Omaha last year? Omaha is becoming more exciting, more entertaining and extremely dynamic and on May 14th our citizens can experience why Omaha is becoming “the buzz” of the Midwest.
May 13 – 21st is National See America Week/National Tourism Week and on Sunday, May 14 from 12:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m., the Greater Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau is planning a terrific “see Omaha event!” We’re offering an afternoon full of fun, new experiences and education – all focused on the interesting past of Omaha and the many things there are to do in downtown Omaha.
The event is free to the public and will:
- Highlight Omaha’s past, present and future
- Offer a variety of family entertainment
- Include a 30-minute guided trolley tour of our re-invented Downtown
The activity starts at Miller’s landing where the River City Star is docked. Ollie the Trolley tours will depart every 15 minutes.
On the grounds of Miller’s Landing will be:
- Merriweather Lewis with his Newfoundland Dog
- “Dreams with Eagles” Native American dance troupe
- A children’s craft area
- O! merchandise will be sold and snacks available for purchase
- River City Star is offering 1/2-price riverboat rides
- Adults - $6
- Children under 12 - $4
Some of the tour points-of-interest include:
- Riverfront Drive
- Gene Leahy Mall
- Lewis and Clark Landing
- Holland Performing Arts Center
- Heartland of America Park
- Pioneer Courage Park
- Old Market District
- Scottish Rite Building
- Bemis Center for Contemporary Arts
- North Downtown development area
- Harney Street Galleries
- Hot Shops Art Center
This first time event is sponsored by the Greater Omaha Convention and Visitors Bureau and provides our citizens a better understanding of the many things we have to offer that makes life more fun and interesting.
A schedule of summer riverfront activities will be available. After this experience, Omaha residence will walk away with a multitude of activities that can keep them entertained throughout the summer.
Go to www.visitomaha.com/KnowtheO for more information.